Movie critics

Ok. Long time lurker, first time poster

The thesis that I want to run with is that movie critics are like doctors in a way. A doctor has to constantly update their medical knowledge with the latest techniques and couple it with the knowledge they already have to make themselves good doctors. Theoretically.

I believe a good movie critic should always do their homework by watching movies - new and old - to make themselves better critics. The more movies they watch, the more well rounded a movie critic they are. Theoretically.

Anyways, I’m on a rewatch click. I started with avengers. Along the way, I’ve been reading some of the more famous movie critics to see how their knee jerk reactions to the movie match with my own thoughts on it. What I would think would be awesome would be for a Richard roeper or a Matt seitz, to go back and rewatch the MCU to get a real critical take (not critically drunk) of these movies and how they stack up as a movie series.

Reading some of the critical reaction, it seems that everything gets lost in the “it all seems the same” and “superhero fatigue” that these critics seem to have and that colors how much attention to detail they give these movies. I don’t think they’re as deep as Scorsese or fincher or anything like that but the MCU has character work going and great acting that should be given an honest shake.

Underrated darlings like Iron Man 3 could be looked at as a part of whole instead of as a speed bump. I know I don’t have the gravitas or the clout to pull that off but I wonder if a “real” critic actually gave the MCU a fair shake, casuals wouldn’t be able to shake this series off as just “cape shit”

Anyways. Thoughts?

submitted by /u/SpiritGator
[link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So I just finished Jessica Jones

Bitter thoughts after Loki ending