Barbenheimer shows auteurs MUST take over the MCU.

Forgive the bold phrasing, the point had to be made.

So I am just past watching the Barbenheimer juggernaut and oh lordy, what a package. Both films are certainly expertly crafted, immensely well acted and thoroughly well thought out.

Something that, well... Hasn't been really the case in the MCU.

My lack of access to Disney+ aside, I didn't even need to see the entirety of Secret Invasion to get enough information to be appalled by some of the choices. The bullshit Harvest device - how the fuck do you actually get this much superpowered DNA - grey CGI bullshit I saw in video clips of the finale, Gravik allegedly being a generic bad guy... Yeah, I don't think I'm seeing it again.

I also never saw Eternals. Shang-Chi was aggressively meh. Black Widow - merely decent. And while I admire GOTG 3, Love and Thunder, MOM and No Way Home, the only reason they're as good is their handling by auteurs. Jon Watts aside, I think it's clear the directors of the 4 are auteurs with unmistakable style - Gunn, Raimi, Waititi. The emotion, the style, the flair is conveyed in different manners, but it hits and captivates all the same.

And now Barbenheimer. A double whammy of grand proportions, each of the project helmed by an experienced auteur filmmaker. While I have no experience with Gerwig outside Barbie, Nolan has endeared me long since Batman Begins. And here he is no different. Both Barbie and Oppenheimer are so full of artistry, style and atmosphere it's hard not to be amazed.

That's how Marvel survives. Let the auteurs take reigns, push the MCU in directions never seen, STYLIZE THE SHIT OUT OF IT (it's comic books, guys!), and be bold.

Hell, Zack Snyder could make a very good movie for Marvel. Or at least one risky enough to satisfy those who believe MCU's playing it too safe.

I really hope Nia DaCosta and Julius Omah are at least somewhat auteurish, because I think I'll nope out of this universe after The Marvels and Brave New World. It'd be sad to end this 12 year journey (for me) with a whimper.

submitted by /u/Bruhmangoddman
[link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So I just finished Jessica Jones

Bitter thoughts after Loki ending