[Thor 4: Love & Thunder] Gorr's deleted scenes in grand scheme of things

So, as someone not familiar with the comics and far from a hero movie buff - though love fantasy, humor and thrillers w/ the suspense of a true threat who can kill off good guys and what not - I wonder how people feel about hearing in particular about the darker scenes with Gorr being cut and him actually having not that much screen time?

Do you feel the influence of Disney is an issue? Are the comics actually not that graphic, thrilling and terrifying and is Gorr among others just there as the anti-hero serving as fodder for the hero to kill? Were Marvel creations never meant to be "dark", scary and just catering to children and families or is there a segment of comics definitely catering to adults that the movies are not daring to match, because it would be 16+ or adult only?

If there are some darker stories, comics and particular series / movies or complete franchises, how do you feel they have been represented in the movies and or series? And what about certain characters like Gorr, do you feel he is represented well? If not, is it because he is supposed to be killing off characters (graphically), be truly scary, feel like a threat or is it for another reason?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but have seen a lot of the movies and a few of the shows / series and to me even Dr. Strange 2 was nothing that really felt threatening nor scary as even when it got crazy and graphic w/ his face coming off, it was never presented that way either given the atmosphere and knowing by now how these movies shake out. It was actually just strange rather than dark.

I don't feel there's a single movie or franchise that truly has felt like a proper dark fantasy film, but all quite light-hearted, silly and quite frankly lacking in quality as time has progressed. Now I wouldn't deem many of their movies / series or even franchises as ones that should be darker, but if there was one, then to me Thor, Moon Knight, Venom & Dr. Strange maybe.

Venom was easily the worst - again as someone who hasn't read the comics so maybe it's dumb and filled w/ silly jokes as well - Moon Knight came closest to being a proper dark fantasy show, though the voice of the gods did not allow for them to feel like a real threat. Thor should've been much darker in my opinion, and at times felt like it, but the corny, cringe humor and light atmosphere paired w/ silly cameos and so-so villains up until now has never allowed it to go that way.

I had hoped with Gorr, based on his look and name - I mean the God Butcher - that it would potentially move into a darker place, but even the non-spoiler reviews pretty much dead that. Right now I'm at a point where I'm quite done with Marvel. The fact that there were dark scenes with Gorr and got cut, tells me - and the smart money should tell us - that someone over at Disney or whoever does not want any movie to move in that direction.

With things getting crazier in this new phase, multiverse and all that, I just need the tone to move with that. Multiverse should be scary, villains should be mightier, more threatening and heroes should die - which is why Avengers is solid to me. But maybe I'm expecting something that I shouldn't as the comics are not that dark either. But that's where I need y'all help as I rather hear from people than read on wikipedia.

I hope fans of the comics and or just the TV productions can share some light on this and give their opinions. Thanks for reading and try to stay spoiler free please. If you feel Thor 4 is for example quite dark

submitted by /u/dragonshokan
[link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So I just finished Jessica Jones

Bitter thoughts after Loki ending