A theory about the Illuminati

Spoilers for Multiverse of Madness

I don’t think I’m the only one that felt the Illuminati should have put up more of a fight. I was particularly troubled by the sudden death of Mr. Fantastic. As I rewatched the scene, I had a crazy idea. What if the Illuminati didn’t actually die like we were led to believe?

When we first see Dr. Strange, before he meets the Illuminati, he’s waking up in the holding cell. We might assume he’s been there long enough for the Illuminati to be aware of his presence, assemble and discuss how to respond. After all, they’re probably not just chilling in a room together on their thrones for no reason right?

When we first see Reed, he appears via the time platform. The time platform isn’t just a fancy teleportation device for Reed to make a flashy appearance with, but a device that’s been used for time and multiversal travel. So the big question is, when or where was Reed coming from? Although the time platform was typically used for travel into the past, there is precedent in the Age of Ultron comic series for it to be used for travel into the future.

My tinfoil hat theory here then is that Reed traveled to a possible future where he learned of the true danger of the Scarlet Witch, and returned warning the rest of the team of what would happen and putting a plan of action into place. Reed would be able to silently communicate the plan through a telepathic link with Professor X.

Knowing it may not be possible to overpower the Scarlet Witch, I believe their strategy was to divert her and Dr. Strange to the next multiverse. So what of the battle we saw? I believe this was an elaborate and very convincing illusion orchestrated through a combination of Reed’s technology, Mordo’s illusions and Professor X’s telepathic powers. Making it appear they’ve all died while guiding strange out of their multiverse is the best way to reduce the “footprint” of the visitors that could lead to an incursion.

In the end, I like to think that Reed outsmarted not only the Scarlet Witch, but the viewers as well. Maybe I’m crazy, maybe it’s all just wishful thinking. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

submitted by /u/Maleficent-Comb
[link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So I just finished Jessica Jones

Bitter thoughts after Loki ending