Oscar Isaac is one of the best actors of our generation.

First off, apologies for formatting.

I watched Moon Knight last night as I do every week and the episode was absolutely phenomenal. I am legitimately sad that we only have one episode left and will probably recommend this show to anyone under the sun.

However, something else happened to me while watching. Marc revisiting the trauma that essentially defined his character and his reasoning for creating Stephen was speaking to me. Watching that man have to essentially expose things in his head to someone else that isn’t meant to see them started to wear on me as I have my own childhood trauma that I essentially have no choice but to see over and over again as an adult.

When Marc broke down at his mother’s shiva after deciding it was too much, I broke with him. I envied him in one aspect though: he had Stephen to escape when it became too much to handle.

Now this isn’t me coming in here to essentially spill my trauma to many people on a platform that can be fickle for next to no reason. In fact, I already decided that I cannot watch that episode again despite it being one of, or to be more accurate, the best thing I’ve ever seen in any series.

I had some time after the episode ended to reflect on what I had seen and, honestly, all I could do was cry. I realized it was a revelation as to who I am as a person and how trauma can be so deep seeded that you don’t even begin to realize how it shapes bits and pieces of yourself.

Now not to say that my trauma lords over me in such a way that it is debilitating every day. I’ve made strides with my mental health and the relationship I have with my parents that I am immensely proud of. They’re wonderful people today and would not trade them for the world. Awesome grandparents as well.

I’ve always been a massive Oscar Isaac fan, but last night absolutely solidified it for me. He was able to reach into such a place of pain for one character and also show us one of the hardest things a person can do: reveal that pain to someone else. Stephen’s confusion and his eventual need to defend Marc was portrayed in a masterclass of acting.

I apologize for making this long winded. I’m groggy and feel like I have a bit of an emotional hangover, but otherwise, I’m okay. To anyone wondering, yes I had a palette cleanse that was great and made me immensely happy afterwards.

Shout out to AEW Dynamite for putting on yet another badass show. Can’t wait for Double of Nothing!

Tell anyone you can about this show. It is immaculate. Thank you for letting me share this with y’all.

submitted by /u/woahdavid
[link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So I just finished Jessica Jones

Bitter thoughts after Loki ending