I find it disingenuous to pretend that some of the hate level towards the Captain Marvel movie was not because she is a female

something I found interesting about an earlier post (https://old.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/u8u9zw/my_opinion_as_a_female_mcu_fan_most_people_dont/) was that it came across to me as if /u/Gaajar_aka_Carrot was trying to say the dislike leveled towards the Captain Marvel movie was warranted because it was not a good movie.

But I feel like OP is missing something crucial (at least imo). the Captain Marvel movie was OK. I would not say it was good, there were parts of the script that needed tweaking and/or tightening imo, and Brie Larson's portrayal of the Cap in certain scenes could definitely use some work.

I don't know if it was an issue of Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck not knowing to direct Brie Larson in certain scenes or Brie Larson was still trying to get a feel for the character. Nevertheless, it's disingenuous to pretend imo that the movie did not have its flaws.

I know there are also some folks who thought it was not progressive enough (I know someone who would have preferred a black woman in the role because that would have been even more challenging to pull off but that's another tangent)

BUT, Captain Marvel is not the only MCU movie that was not well-received by fans. Incredible Hulk got some bad reviews, as did Thor 2, Avengers 2 and Eternals. But I have never seen the same level of hate and vitriol directed towards any of those. They get dissed, sure, but the feedback from some folks doesn't seem as hate-filled towards those movies as it was towards Captain Marvel.

Which to me, is the fundamental issue that I had with the negative reception towards Captain Marvel. If a portrayal of a female character in media is not very good (such as Black Widow or WandaVision) then that portrayal gets criticized much more than if it had been a subpar movie that starred a man.

So yes, Captain Marvel movie itself was not great and had problems, but I can't shake the feeling that it got the level of hate and vitriol that it did because it starred a female.

Edit:

I forgot to bring up the fact that some folks hated it so much that RT had to revamp their scoring system just because of the amount of online trolls that review-bombed that movie.

And then there were insecure folks who deliberately were misunderstanding what she said about wanting more diverse demographics amongst critics and review-bombing the movie as a result.

submitted by /u/b3_k1nd_rw1nd
[link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So I just finished Jessica Jones

Bitter thoughts after Loki ending